It’s almost Turkey Day! How are you spending the weekend before the holiday? Here are some things that the Collective will be doing this weekend…
Friday the 18th
- TRYPS Treasure Island at the Columbia Mall and the TRYPS Little Theater; various times throughout the weekend - All weekend long, the TRYPS program is presenting a play about pirates and buried treasure. Go to the TRYPS website for further details.
- Margin Call / The Skin I Live In at Ragtag; show times throughout the weekend ($8) – Two films highlight Ragtag’s weekend lineup. Margin Call features a star-studded cast telling the story of a brokerage firms during the 24 hours leading to financial collapse. In The Skin I Live In, Almodóvar and Banderas reunite for the first time since 1990′s Tie Me Up! Tie Me Down! to bring us this suspenseful thriller.
- Super Sonic Piss, The Liz, Stacian & Gel Set w/the fagettes at Cafe Berlin; 10:00 PM-1:00 AM ($?) – Three punk bands from around the Midwest and our own Fagettes are playing a good old fashioned freak out at Cafe Berlin. For more information, check the event page on Facebook.
- XCX at the Midway Truckstop Sandbar here in Columbia; on-site registration and check-in is at 8:00 AM ($35 for participants) – The following descriptors are used for this event: “Deranged Cross-Country Run. Demented Obstacle Course. Unhinged Costume Contest. Complete Insanity. Can You Survive the XCX?” That’s all you really need to know. Also, watch the video below…
- Benefit for Larry at Hawgs & Dogs Bar & Grill; 5:00 pm - Larry has been diagnosed with a brain tumor and will be undergoing chemotherapy. Money raised will be used to lessen the financial burden for Larry and his family during treatment. Hawgs and Dogs will be donating the money raised from the sale of Chicken and Ribs at the benefit. There is a Facebook event you can check out for more details. There will also be a raffle for a laptop, marble or granite 49″ desktop/vanity top ($300-500 value), Cardinal World Series t-shirts (9 of them L & XL), car washes, haircuts…… and more. Come by early and watch the Mizzou Game! The Big Square Band will play from 8 PM to Midnight.
- MU’s Women’s Basketball vs. North Florida at Mizzou Arena; 2:00-4:00 PM ($3-5) – One can’t beat major NCAA basketball for such a low price. Sunday afternoon games are often sparsely attended, giving one a chance to get up close to see Robin Pingeton’s undefeated crew take on the North Florida Ospreys.
- Cross-legged #2 (with Fire Dog) at Ragtag; 4:00-5:00 PM (donations) – Here’s the description from Ragtag: “This new variety show compels young families and discerning adults to hunker down on the floor of our small, cozy theater. This month, we welcome St. Louis band Fire Dog. This trio will offer a low-volume version of their playful blend of soul and surf, with influences ranging from Elvis Costello and David Bowie to The Beach Boys and The Flaming Lips. Look for deep-knee bends and magic tricks too. “