Craft beer has been booming for the last decade+, but as with many things, such movements take time reaching the former Soviet Union and Mid-Missouri. Thankfully, craft beer is booming in Columbia and throughout Missouri. No place is this more evident than on social networks.
One CoMo establishment that has been leading the way in this area is 44 Stone Public House, located on Peachtree Drive. Of all the best spots for beer in this town, 44 Stone puts forth a consistent effort to keep its clientele abreast of their ever-evolving tap list through Twitter and Facebook. Plus, one can always find 44 Stone owner Dave Faron frequenting the Facebook wall of the Columbia Beer Enthusiasts with beer dinner announcements and tap list updates. Dave even announced the bar’s “tap cams” which are cameras focused on the two chalk boards featuring the offerings from their twelve taps. Plus, the food is pretty good…
Another fine place to find tap lists is COMO Tap, a Google spreadsheet I set up for restaurant and bar owners to update. Some establishments are better than others at updating their tap lists, but it still beats having to call ahead or simply hope your favorite beer is on tap. To view the list, go here. Send this link to your favorite establishment if you want them to participate.
Of course, the best way to get beer information in this town is to find the people in the know. A one-stop location for the best beer knowledge in mid-MO can be found in the Facebook group established by the Columbia Beer Enthusiasts. There is also a blog and Twitter feed the CBE maintain. A few members (founding, lapsed, and everything in between) even engage beer discussions on Twitter:
- @catbacker77 – Seth T regularly reports his Beer Advocate reviews.
- @ScottMRowson – Tribune food columnist and Show-Me Eats blogger also knows a thing or two about beer.
- @columbiabeer – If you could see this man’s cellar and or brewing system, you would understand why he’s mentioned here.
- @josh_rein – Josh brews down at Broadway and is pretty connected in the local beer scene.
A few establishments work hard to get the work out concerning their tap lists and beer shipments out there. Be sure to follow these businesses on Twitter and Facebook.
- Sycamore Restaurant (Facebook/Twitter)
- 1839 Taphouse (Facebook/
- Uprise Bar (Facebook/Twitter)
- McGinty’s Pub (Facebook/
- “The Conley” Hy-Vee (Twitter)
Of course, there are always the breweries here in CoMo. All three have Facebook and Twitter feeds to watch for releases and deals. Give them all a follow then give them your money.
- Broadway Brewery (Facebook/Twitter)
- Flat Branch Pub & Brewing (Facebook/Twitter)
- Rock Bridge Brewery (Facebook/Twitter)
If you’re into craft beer, you need to follow the people and organizations listed above. If you sell craft beer and aren’t mentioned above, what are you waiting for? Make your case in the comments and engage the growing craft beer community in CoMo!