If you are looking for some wholesome, cheap family fun this weekend, look no further than the Movies in the Park at Flat Branch Park downtown Columbia, Missouri on Friday night at 9pm. For just $2 per adult, you can enjoy the movie Yogi Bear on the big, inflatable screen. Kids age 8 and under are free.
My family and I attended the first Movie in the Park this season back in May and it did not disappoint. Before the movie begins, the kiddos can burn off some energy running around playing tag or races (or whatever kids do) in the park. I have a little guy and he really enjoyed playing with the big kids. Also, this is a crucial first step if you accidentally cave and let your kid have a soda for the movie.
Speaking of soda, there are concessions at the park, hosted by (and benefiting) the Paquin Towers Adapted Recreation program. Popcorn, candy and ice-cold drinks are sold at a very reasonable price. You are welcome to bring your own snacks, but it’s nice to know the profits for the concessions sold at the movies are going for a good cause.
If you go:
- Bring a blanket (or three!) and maybe some pillows for nice, comfy lounging on the ground.
- If you’re more of a chair person, try to bring your lowest-sitting chairs and sit back away from the screen, leaving room for those who are sitting on blankets.
- The show begins at 9pm. Make sure to get there a little early to find parking, get a good spot, buy your concessions, and get settled.
- The movies are shown at the Flat Branch Park that’s on the North side of Locust. This is the green space that does not contain the sprayground and playground.
- Bring bug spray. And be prepared for cicada symphony in the background this month–perhaps they’ll be gone next month!
- If it is raining, the event is canceled. There is no rain date.
If you can’t make it this Friday, Parks & Rec will be hosting other outdoor movies throughout the summer. Here is the schedule:
- July 8, 9pm, An American Tail
- August 12, 8:30pm, Tangled
- September 9, 8pm, TBA
Hope to see you there!