In case you missed the Globetrotters last night, there’s still plenty to do this weekend. At the Ragtag alone, one could fill an entire weekend and not see the same film twice. So, let the good times roll!
Friday the 6th
- Cheap champagne! – Due to over stocking for the holidays, Hy-Vee Conley (by Sam’s Club) has an abundance of champagne inventory. Starting Friday, January 6th and running thru January 8th, the store is offering an additional 5 percent off your purchase of 6 bottles or more on selected varieties. Stock up for that party, wedding or Valentine’s Day that is just around the corner.
- Mercer & Johnson, The Harrows at Mojo’s; doors 8:30/show 9:30 ($3) – Get your hillbilly on Friday night as a couple knee-slappin’, string-playin’, whiskey-drinkin’ bands take the stage at redneck rates ($3) and turn Mojo’s into the barn it wishes it were. [Link]
- Members Only, Disengaged at The Blue Note; doors 8:30/show 9:30 ($6) – Dig up your Members Only jacket (or leave yours on, hipster) and moonwalk down to the Blue Note for some retromania. The band’s description tells you all you need to know:
Members Only is the nation’s premier 80′s cover band, playing your favorite hair and pop classics from the decade that gave us the Rubik’s Cube, Atari, and feathered bangs! Members Only has been playing regionally since the “Summer of 69″ (no wait, 2008) with experienced musicians Brent Thornton on lead vocals, Sam Adkins on bass guitar, Will “The Prodigy” Clark on the keys, Seth Jaeger and Zach McClease playing guitar, and Justin Gabossi keeping the beat on the drums. With a high energy show and songs you know and love, Members Only is guaranteed to get you dancing and singing along all night!
- Sean Kent at Deja Vu Comedy Club; Fri.-9 PM/Sat. 8 & 10 PM ($8) – Sean Kent is a two-time cancer survivor. So, for that reason alone, you should give him a chance to make you laugh. That and he’s pretty funny. Check his Twitter feed for a sampling.
- Ragtag (Adults $8, Seniors/Children $6.50, Member $5) - Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy (3:15, 6:00, 8:45); My Week with Marilyn (5:00); Le Havre (7:15); Young Adult (9:30)
- Spindle Spinning 101 Workshop at Access Arts; 9 AM-noon ($20) – This three-hour workshop is open to anyone interested in learning how to spin on a hand spindle or wanting to improve their skills. The workshop will start simple and let attendees work through the basics. A variety of spindles and plenty of wool roving will be available for participants to try. Enrollment is limited, so there will be lots of individual attention from instructors. The workshop fee is $20, which includes instruction, use of equipment and materials. For more information, visit schoolofservice.orgor call 875-0275.
- Jack Grelle at Mojo’s; doors 9/show 10 ($2) – Get more beard per dollar Saturday night as Missouri boy Jack Grelle shares stories of the roads and people of the Show-Me State. [Link]
- Ragtag (Adults $8, Seniors/Children $6.50, Member $5) - My Week with Marilyn (12:00, 7:15); Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy (12:30, 3:15, 6:00, 8:45); Young Adult (2:30, 9:30); Le Havre (5:00)
- Brunch at Broadway Brewery; 10:30 AM-2 PM - Start your week off right with a rotating selection of seasonally delicious brunch options, and indulge with a custom cocktail from our Build-a-Bloody Buddy Bar. Of course, once you’re done eating, you make a day of it and drink some beer while listening to some Blue Grass into the evening.
- Ragtag (Adults $8, Seniors/Children $6.50, Member $5) – Young Adult (11:30am, 9:00); Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy (12:00, 2:45, 5:30, 8:15); My Week with Marilyn (2:00, 6:45); Le Havre (4:30)